It’s that time again! Some of you have already opened your pool, but for those of you that are just starting, here are some helpful tips to clearing your pool as quickly as possible.
When you first open your pool and the filter is running, follow these initial steps:
- Use BioGuard StowAway to clean and store your cover. StowAway allows you to store your cover away wet and prevents mildew from growing and helps deter insects from chewing through the cover while it is stored away for the summer.
- If you have a lot of algae or debris in the pool, do your best to scoop or vacuum as much of it out to waste as you can. Vacuuming to waste will bypass your filter system entirely and will exit the pool through your backwash line. Make sure the pool water level is filled close to the top of the skimmer before you start vacuuming. You will lose a good amount of water. For those of you with cartridge filters, scoop as much debris out as you can and vacuum the rest. Hose your cartridge off really well when the pressure rises 10-12 psi over your starting pressure, and have BioGuard Strip Kwik and Kleen It on hand to give your filter a really good chemical cleaning when the pool is clean.
- Put your SilkGuard Complete Sticks or Tablets in your skimmer basket or chlorinator (even if you have a salt or Mineral Springs pool) at a dose of 1 Stick or 1 Tablet per 5,000 gallons. Open your chlorinator 100%.
- Add some algaecide and pre-dissolved BurnOut3 or liquid chlorine. *When you pre-dissolve granular shock (or any chemical) ALWAYS fill up a bucket and add the product to water. Never put product in a bucket and then add water to it. This can cause a dangerous chemical reaction.
- After you’ve added your chlorine sticks or tabs, shock and algaecide, let your filter run straight for 24-48 hours and then bring us a sample to test. In the meantime, add BioGuard Pool Opening Complete to help get rid of any contaminants that entered your pool over the winter, and remove waterline build up and biofilm.
After 24-48 hours of continuous filtration, bring a sample of the pool water taken from elbow depth away from the skimmer and returns. We will test your water so that you can balance your pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness and Chlorine accordingly.
Once you have established a free chlorine residual and your water is clear and balanced, you are ready to swim!