Does your spa cover have a strange odor?
Are there visible signs of mildew on it?
If you’re having trouble with mildew on your spa cover, here’s an easy way step by step to get rid of it- recommended by Sunstar Spa Covers.
- Remove foam cores from vinyl encasement.
- Mix 2 gallons of water, 1 Teaspoon of mild dish washing soap, and 1 cup of bleach.
- With a soft bristle brush, scrub the inside of the encasement thoroughly.
- Wipe down each foam core with a wash cloth and rinse both well.
- Put the encasement in the sun and the foam cores in the shade to dry. (Do not put foam cores in the sun, they will melt!)
- When everything is dry, spray the cores and inside the encasement with a mildew inhibitor like Pine Sol®.
- Allow everything to dry and re-assemble.
*If you are using WD-40 to free the Sure-Locs, try using a Q-tip to keep the WD-40 away from your wood cabinet. (It can damage the finish.)
After you’ve ridden your spa cover of that pesky mildew, make sure to keep your water balanced regularly so it won’t return! (Or we can test it for you!)
After spending so many years working with Advanced Spa And Pool, I tend to hear the same questions repeated. I often wonder if that customer spent many frustrating hours looking for answers online to fix the pickle they’ve found themselves in before they came in to the store, so I decided to answer some of those questions for all of you. Now you can ACTUALLY find reliable information on the internet. How about that!
How much work is a hot tub to maintain?
A hot tub is not difficult to maintain. BioGuard makes taking care of your hot tub simpler than ever. You’ll pick your sanitizer, chlorine, bromine or biguanide. You’ll add your sanitizer and stain and scale control (for metals in the water) once a week, shock the tub when you’re done using it, and test and balance the water weekly. The tub should be drained 3 times a year. Every time you drain the tub or after heavy usage the filters need to be taken out and cleaned with a chemical filter cleaner to strip the pleats of cosmetics, bather waste, oils, etc.. Chemicals are normally added at a rate of tablespoons and teaspoons. ASAP can make the process even easier for you by giving you a detailed set of directions to take home; so easy anyone can do it!
What exactly does an ozonator do for my hot tub?
Ozonators put ozone gas in the spa water. Ozone is one of the strongest oxidizers in the world, much stronger than chlorine. Ozonators should not be used as sanitizers or to replace your normal sanitizer; it will not do enough work to keep your spa clean and safe. With that being said, ozone IS a phenomenal OXIDIZER. It can drastically lower chemical usage because it’s taking care of a lot of the work your sanitizer and maintenance shock would need to do otherwise. It is a great edition to any and every tub to help simplify hot tub maintenance even more.
Should I use Bromine or Chlorine?
Some spa manufacturers will void the warranty on jets and other parts if Bromine is used in the spa (because it is a salt, and salt makes more scale), so you may want to look into that before making any final decisions on which you would like to use. Chlorine is the most popular and cost-effective sanitizing system used in spas. It does not come in a tablet or liquid form; only granular, which simplifies the decision making and makes maintenance easier by only calling for a couple tablespoons a week. Bromine comes in a tablet and concentrate, and Bromine is more stable in hot water and in a higher range of pH than Chlorine is. Bromine is a salt, so you may find scale along the water lines and jets which left untreated can cause corrosion. All in all, both Chlorine and Bromine are spectacular sanitizers, and at the end of the day the decision will be left up to your own preferences and what fits your lifestyle best.
How often do I need to test and drain my hot tub water?
That’s a difficult question to answer because there are so many variables to consider. A good rule of thumb though, is to drain it 3 times a year or when your TDS reaches 1500 parts per million above your source water. TDS- total dissolved solids, is the measurement of solids in the spa water that can no longer be filtered out. Simply put, it tells us when your spa water “goes bad.” We can find that out for you with a free water test at our store.
I know someone who’s gotten rashes from their hot tub. Are they allergic to the chlorine?
It’s actually extremely rare that someone is allergic to Chlorine or Bromine. Most of the time, when someone is getting a rash the biggest culprits are low pH or very low/no chlorine. When the pH is too low, the water becomes acidic and harmful to the bathers skin (for the equipment too). The pH in a hot tub should always be between 7.4 and 7.6. Why? Because the pH of your tears is 7.5. The chlorine should be between 3 and 5 parts per million to sanitize properly. If it’s lower than that or if there is no active chlorine in the spa, it is not killing bacteria, leaving the bathers at risk for rashes and the like.
If you have other questions about spas and water chemistry, check for new blog posts or stop in to Advanced Spa And Pool with a water sample for a FREE analysis. Our water care pros will personally answer all your questions!
The most romantic day of the year is just around the corner and if you’re low on cash there’s no need to stress about it. Some of the best gifts don’t have to cost you a fortune and chances are the old standby of chocolates and flowers have gotten a bit boring. Now don’t get me wrong, most women love chocolate and flowers but why not give them something special from your heart to really show them how you feel? Here are a few ideas that are sure to please:
Make your Valentine a card and write in it 10 things you love most about him/her or how your life is better for having them, tie it around some home-made heart shaped fudge.
Light some candles, turn on sensual music and grab some massage oil or lotion and take turns giving each other a body massage. It’s a totally relaxing way to get close without spending money.
Stay in and cook with your partner, maybe try a new dish together. Pop open a bottle of wine and enjoy each other’s company. (And maybe take it a step further and feed each other.)
Make him/her a basket or package of treats that you know they like. For example: for a movie buff DVDs, candy, a bag of popcorn or for a coffee lover- favorite flavor coffee, biscotti, fancy flavored creamer and maybe throw in some truffles.
Leave Love notes in unexpected places such as the bathroom mirror, in the fridge, under his pillow or his coat pocket or any other place you think he’ll come across throughout the day.
Find a babysitter for the kids and have a romantic picnic in your living room.
Focus on your partner for the day, doing all the little things you know they love!
Whatever you’re plans are for playing Cupid , It should be about expressing your feelings to those you love and sharing that love without breaking the bank—now that’s something that’s truly priceless!
It’s 2014, and very soon we will be starting our annual BioGuard Season Supply Sale! We’ve been running this sale for over a decade now, and we’ve made hundreds of our loyal customers happy year after year with the substantial discounts we offer pre-season. Many customers were concerned with picking up a large bulk of chemicals and bringing them home, so now we will deliver the chemicals to your house and unload them for you FREE of charge! Give us a call and ask for personalized pricing and what is included in your package. You can have all your season maintenance chemicals calculated by your pool volume by the professionals, delivered to your house, and reap the benefits of the best sale we run all year! What a stress-free way to start your summer!
As we’ve passed Black Friday and are nearing Christmas, we’re soon to face both the most beautiful and dreaded part of the season; snow, snow, snow. Are you ready to shovel? Neither are we. Here are some fun ways to get rid of the hours and inches of marvelous mess we’ll inevitably meet again.
1. Make Snowballs
Is there any better way to get rid of snow than making giant snow balls? Make an abominable snow man, or have a contest to see who can make the biggest ball. Get your kids out there with you and roll that snow right out of your driveway!
2. Bury Dog Treats In The Snow
Whether you have a little bit of fluffy snow, or some hard snow that needs to be softened to shovel, throw some Milk Bones out there and put your pooch to work. He’ll have fun finding all his treats and he’ll kick all the snow around and away. Plus, they’re fun to watch!
Undoubtedly the most fun way to get rid of all the snow in your driveway is to make an igloo out of it. Bring your kids out with you and start making snow bricks! What kid (or adult) doesn’t love igloos? Oh, and by the way, we’ve got Dynasty Spas at the store to put in your igloo! How cool is that? Get going!
4. Let Us Do It!
If you don’t have time or patience to shovel this year, have us plow for you! Ask us to come to your house and see your driveway for a free estimate. We can even shovel the hard to plow areas, decks and steps for you! During storms we go out as many times as needed to keep your driveway free of snow, and we keep up with the accumulation so that when you come home from work, you don’t need to wait to pull into your driveway. At the end of the day, the only thing you’ll need to worry about is who made the best snow angel! Let us do the work and enjoy your winter!
Many people ask “What is the best time of year to Install an In Ground Pool?” Right NOW!!! I always say. There are many reasons to install that new backyard oasis at any given point, but truly the Fall has a few significant benefits.
- The ground is generally dryer and more solid. This helps for a couple of reasons:
- The area from the street to the pool site will generally have less damage than in the wet and muddy spring. Many times the grass doesn’t get torn up at all sometimes just matted down a bit. I usually joke with the customer “we can’t complete the project by helicopter!” I believe in setting a VERY realistic expectation of what the site will look like during AND after the project. There are excavators, skid steers, dump trucks, cement trucks, and even a small dozer going across the lawn. We are absolutely diligent in leaving the property minimally disrupted but logistics dictate some damage will be unavoidable and the fall minimizes the chances.
- You can spread out the project (AND the costs) without losing the use of your yard in the busy summer months. You can install the pool (We supply a temporary fence) get the pool filled, and have the electrical done in the fall. The earth settles naturally over the winter and complete your project (Deck, Fence, and Landscaping) early in the spring.
- The total project all at once is a daunting task. If you do it Fall and Spring it can relieve some of the stress of the rush to complete so the children can use their pool. Schedules many times get delayed in the spring. The past 5 years we have experienced very rainy May and June months. There is nothing that can be done to speed up the project when it rains 2-3 days per week and the crews get backed up. You wouldn’t want to rush a beautiful backyard project and risk for example the concrete finish to be degraded by pouring on a day with a strong threat of rain. The fall historically has far fewer days of rain, and the crews aren’t scheduled as tightly.
- Cost Savings- Historically the costs increase year to year. Fuel as we all know keeps going up, raw costs of steel and concrete rise and especially lately insurance keeps increasing. If the Swimming Pool is installed in the fall all the costs associated are realized in that year. Also by Locking in the Fence and Deck you experience the benefit of an earlier start date and in many instances you can lock in the fall price.
- The Memorial Day Party! By starting early and careful planning (Of course ASAP will guide you through this) you can show off your backyard masterpiece at your family cookout and be the envy of all your friends and family. Be sure to tell them all that Advanced Spa And Pool walked you through the entire process!!!